Energy savings solutions in steel industry
The heat and power needed to produce steel give a burden on CO2 emissions and energy bills of steel companies. That’s why steel mills are looking for ways to reduce their energy usage. The first thing that comes to mind for metal companies like steelworks to reduce their energy bill, is to save gas that is used in the melting process. But did you know compressed air is a large energy consumer in steel industries as well? If you are searching for ways to reduce energy costs in your steel production, please consider looking at your air compression and technical gas systems as well. Measuring is an important step to take to reduce these costs.
Why measuring saves energy and gasses like nitrogen and argon
In the search for reducing energy costs, many easily oversee the savings potential of compressed air or technical gas systems. Measuring your compressed air or gas system, provides insight into large consumers, leakage, incompetent use, and maintenance management. Measuring delivers actual data to justify improvement investments and maintenance management. It shows you how, where, and when to save. It is time to reduce your costs. But how much is the potential return on investment (ROI) in your plant? Consult our calculator below to find out.
Try our cost calculator and get direct insights in your potential savings
Usage of compressed air in steel production
Compressed air is widely used in steel production; here are the most common compressed air applications:
- Air for operating instruments: many instruments in steel production rely on compressed air. Two common examples are: operating presses or pneumatic conveying.
- Blast furnace: to reach the right melting point, compressed hot air is needed to melt iron ore/scraps, coke and limestone in a blast furnace.
- Cooling down: to produce a consistent quality of steel, the cooling process is very important. A mixture of water and compressed air is needed to quickly cool down the hot slab or billet.
- Producing coke: Compressed air is used in the production of coke. Bituminous coal is heated to high temperatures. During this process, air is needed.
Usages of argon and nitrogen in steel and aluminum production
Besides compressed air, gasses like argon and nitrogen are also very important in steel production. Also, these gasses are needed to produce . The most important applications of nitrogen and argon in aluminum and steel production are:
- Degassing aluminum and steel to remove (chemical) impurities;
- Removing oxygen to prevent oxidation;
- Cutting applications (like plasma and laser cutting);
- Oxygen furnace: making the steel liquid requires almost pure oxygen.
Measuring systems for steel and aluminum production
Implementing a solution that saves costs is always an easy consideration. VPInstruments offers a wide range of measuring and monitoring equipment. Our equipment can monitor both supply side and demand side of your air/gas system. Our measuring equipment is developed to fit in all usual steel production processes.
Our measuring equipment delivers you the following insights:
- Technical gas and compressed air mass flow;
Anticipate on time with accurate monitoring
Operators, quality controllers and even your CFO will benefit from measuring your gas and air usage. Our monitoring system makes sure you’ll receive a report adjusted to your responsibilities. Within the software you can define parameters and KPI’s. You are also able to setup warnings. The real-time screens deliver accurate and easy to read information. By noticing leakages, misuse or overconsumption on time, you will potentially save a lot of energy. By measuring this will come to light whilst you will get a good night’s sleep.
Choosing for VPInstruments
Are you convinced about the advantages of measuring accurate in your steel plant? In that case you only need to find the right supplier. If you choose for VPInstruments, you benefit from the following advantages:
- Quick and highly specialized worldwide service to keep your plant running;
- An easy to install product;
- Quick and high-quality support
- Own Dutch production and calibration location;
- Own research and development;
- Long lasting quality;
- User friendly monitoring and operation.
We acknowledge that it’s easy to boast oneself. So please feel free to read what our customers are saying on our reference page.
Get in touch
Would you like to receive more information or discuss all possibilities? Our experts would be pleased to assist you. Call +31 (0)15 213 1580 or send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.